1. What is microblading?
Microblading, also known as Eyebrow Embroidery, or 3D Brows, is a procedure categorized under permanent makeup, but unlike traditional cosmetic tattooing, it is less invasive and is considered semi-permanent. The procedure is done by using a hand tool with ultra fine needles and each 'hair' is gently etched into the skin, giving an incredibly natural and realistic look. Microblading can dramatically correct or fully reconstruct lost eyebrow and is excellent for those wanting to enhance their brows or who have little to no eyebrows, thinning brows from age or over tweezed brows. Pigments used are chosen to match the natural or desired brow color and skin tone will also be taken into consideration.
2. How long can I expect it to last?
The pigment used in microblading is semi-permanent and can last up to 24 mo. The pigment will begin to fade within 12 months. In order to keep your brows vibrant, a touch up is recommended every 12 months to 24 months maximum. After 2 years, full price for microblading will apply.
For clients that choose a softer look and
lighter color shade initially or those who did
not follow the after care instructions properly
may require more frequent touch ups.
Factors that will cause premature fading:
- a) Iron deficiency
- b) Sun exposure
- c) Exfoliants
- d) Exposure to salt water
- e) Smoking
3. Who is not suitable candidate for the procedure?
- a) Using Accutane
- b) Have heart conditions or using heart medications
- c) Have diabetes (will require a physician's note)
- d) Have skin disease or irritations
- e) Have had Botox in the last 2 weeks
- f) Have gotten a deep tan or chemical peels in the last 2 weeks
- g) Allergic to lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine or epinephrine
- h) Anyone who has any serious medical conditions may require a physician's note.
- i) Pregnant or nursing clients who want to microblade can be done at your own discretion. We suggest discussing with your doctor first. Microblading is still considered a tattoo, and just like with wine or sushi consumption, it is a personal choice to do so during this period.
4. Are there any side effects during or after the procedure?
During the procedure there may be some minor bleeding. This depends on the client. If you take blood thinners on a daily basis, then some slight bleeding
may occur. Bruising is rare but can occur.
There is usually some tenderness for a few
5. Is it painful?
We take every precaution necessary to ensure the microblading procedure is as pain free as possible. A strong topical anaesthetic cream is used prior to and during the procedure to keep you as comfortable as possible. Some clients find the procedure a little uncomfortable while others report no discomfort at all. Clients can take Tylenol but not aspirin or ibuprofen.
6. How long does it take?
For the first Microblading session, the entire procedure will take up to 2.5 hrs. During this session, the brow technician will shape and style the clients brows for client approval, followed by selection of color pigment. Once the client is satisfied with the choices, procedure will begin.
7. How long does it take to heal?
The eyebrow area will be slightly red after
the procedure and color will appear very
dark, immediately after and in the first 10
days. Your brows will appear significantly
darker and defined than perhaps your
desired look. This is normal and part of the
healing process. In the following days, the
eyebrows will continue to be dark and you
will notice slight scabbing however this is
not an accurate indication of the finished
and healed result, 30-100% of your brow
color will fade as the scabs fall off within
7-10 days. In some cases, the scabs may take
longer to heal and fall off.
DO NOT PICKYOUR SCABS. This will damage the
skin and the outcome of the microbladed are.
The pigment is within thescab and you do not
want to pull any pigment out of your skin
prematurely. We all heal differently and
what works on one client may not be
effective on another so please do not
compare your results.The complete healing
process takes approximately 6 weeks.
The eyebrows will lighten up in color as it
heals. No down time is required after
microblading procedure. It takes
approximately 7-14 days for the brows to
heal over, and about 1 month for the color
to fully set in. You'll notice the color is
very light right after the two weeks after
healing; the skin will have an opaque milky
looking quality to it. This is known as the
milk skin and is common in tattooing. This
is due to the the tissue still healing from
the inside out even though the surface of
the skin is healed. True color will reveal
itself once healed.
8. Is the touch up session necessary?
Yes! Touch ups are done no earlier than 5 weeks of your initial procedure and no later than 8 weeks as everyone heals differently and outcome will vary. Certain areas may not pick up during first session and will need to be refilled. Pigment color may need to be adjusted, brow thickness and more strokes can be added. Individuals with oily skin often require a deeper shade during the touch up session as the oils tend to lighten the pigment. Most importantly, your touch up session is when we refine your brows to ensure it looks perfect and retains the color for the whole year!
If you do not schedule your touchup within 8 weeks, you forfiet your touchup and will be required to pay a fee for service.
9. Can I get my touch up session sooner than 4 weeks?
Touch up sessions should not be done earlier than 4 weeks after initial microblading session as pigment color has not fully settled into the skin. Most importantly, this is to prevent scar damage as the tissue requires time to completely heal.
10. Will I need a third session?
In special circumstances a third touch up (4-6 weeks later) is necessary for certain clients where the pigment does not take as well to the skin. Additional fees will apply.
11. Are Semi-Permanent Eyebrows deemed permanent?
Technically, semi-permanent micro-pigmentation is considered permanent because the color is implanted into the upper dermal layer of the skin and cannot be washed off. However, the pigment is implanted more superficially than a traditional tattoo, so it naturally fades over time.
12. What are the pre and post care procedures?
In order to achieve the best results, it is best to follow the pre and post care instructions.
Prior to your procedure, clients are advised of
- a) Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 72 hours.
- b) No face scrubs or chemical peels at least two weeks prior.
- c) Feel free to come in with their brow makeup on so our technician can see your every day look you prefer.
- d) Reference pictures of shapes and colors of brows are always welcomed. We will then work together to create the perfect brows!
THE RESULTS ARE VERY NATURAL AND FULLER LOOKING BROW. INITIALLY, THE BROWS APPEAR DARKER, BUT FADE SIGNIFICANTLY OVER A TWO WEEK PERIOD. IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL TO HAVE A TOUCH UP DONE. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO PREDICT HOW WELL YOUR SKIN WILL RETAIN THE PIGMENT. DUE TO THIS AND MANY OTHER VARYING FACTORS, WE CANNOT GUARANTEE YOUR RESULTS.